Coloring pages ostriches – pictures with another amazing bird of the planet. The ostrich cannot fly, but it runs very fast. The largest birds on Earth do this in case of danger and can run for a very long time. If you can’t run away, the ostrich kicks back. The muscular limbs of the ostrich inflict noticeable damage on the attacker. The ostrich also uses its wings. The bird needs them while courting the female. Use pencils or felt-tip pens to print and color your unique bird.
Amazing birds ostriches are not like other birds. Preferring to run rather than fly, they are not distinguished by intelligence, which does not prevent them from being perfectly adapted for survival. However, they only seem so funny, but in fact, an enraged ostrich is not the enemy that I would like to meet on a narrow path.
Interesting facts about ostriches
- Among all the birds on Earth, they are the largest.
- Several tens of thousands of years ago, there were even larger species, moreover, carnivores, but they became extinct long ago – they were exterminated by primitive people (interesting facts about birds).
- The scientific name of the ostrich is translated from Greek as “camel-sparrow”.
- Among the creatures living on our planet today, ostriches have no biological relatives.
- While running, they move in huge jumps, overcoming 3-5 meters in one such jump.
- The weight of an adult ostrich can exceed 150 kg.
- Emu birds, which are second only to ostriches in size, were previously also referred to as ostrich-like, but long ago they were singled out as a separate species. So emu is not an ostrich.
- The ostrich is more than 2.5 meters tall.
- Ostriches do not hide their heads in the sand; if you scare them, they run away. And if they are driven into a corner, they begin to defend themselves with kicks. One such well-aimed blow can kill a person.
- They also run fast, differing in their endurance. The ostrich can maintain a running speed of 50 km / h for a long time.
- On the chest they have a spot without feathers – this is the place on which the ostrich rests when it lies on the ground.
- The maximum speed that ostriches can develop is about 95 km / h. At the same time, they can turn on the run without even slowing down.
- They feed on vegetation, small animals, and insects.
- Ostriches have thicker eyelashes than humans; sometimes they absorb pebbles and even sand – this helps to digest food better, since stones, once in the stomach, simply rub it.
- The life span of an ostrich can reach 75-80 years.
- One ostrich egg weighs more than a kilogram.
- Birds don’t get wet in the rain, but ostriches don’t have a fat-producing gland to cover their feathers, so they get wet easily.
- They can go without water for a long time, since they have enough moisture obtained with food. But on occasion ostriches drink willingly, and they also love to swim.
- To get rid of skin parasites, these birds ride in dry dust. Defending their territory, ostriches attack humans and even lions. By the way, the lion, the king of beasts, usually does not risk getting involved with an ostrich, which can easily cripple or even kill him (interesting facts about lions).
- Young ostriches do not eat vegetation – only meat and insects.
- They prefer to live in families consisting of a female, male and chicks.
- Vultures who love to feast on ostrich eggs throw stones at them from a height, since they cannot break a solid shell half a centimeter thick with their beak.
- Of all the birds, only ostriches have two toes on their feet.
- Some tribes in Africa still use their eggshells as water vessels.
- Ostrich feathers on helmets are found on most Polish coats of arms (interesting facts about Poland).
- You can ride ostriches if you want, but only on males, because they are larger and stronger.
- Ostriches are bred in more than 50 countries around the world, including cold ones. There are ostrich farms even in Russia and Sweden (interesting facts about Sweden).
- Attracting a female, a male ostrich utters a trumpet roar of deafening volume.
- Due to the strength of the shell, it takes a newborn chick up to an hour to get out. Not everyone can cope.
- The diameter of an ostrich’s eye (5 centimeters) is larger than the diameter of this bird’s brain.
- The weight of a newborn baby ostrich reaches 1.1-1.2 kilograms.
- Sometimes, if two groups of chicks from different birds mingle, the parent ostriches fight each other for custody of them. The winners get all the offspring.
- In one of the Altai caves, abandoned by primitive people 40-50 thousand years ago, archaeologists discovered ornaments made from ostrich eggs.
- Chicks of African ostriches are usually born with a bruise on the back of the head, because they break their way out of the egg. The hematoma, however, is not dangerous, and they quickly pass.
- After the chicks hatch, the female ostrich breaks the spoiled eggs in order to attract flies, which will feed the chicks who are more fortunate.
- The female ostrich incubates eggs during the day, and the male replaces her at night.
The ostrich coloring page represents the largest feathered on the planet Earth. The full height of an adult creature can reach 2.5 meters, and its body weight exceeds 130 kg. Unfortunately, with such impressive dimensions, it is impossible to fly, but it will not be a problem to develop an automobile speed while running. By itself, he is a little surprising in his disproportion: a large body, an elongated neck, a small head and long legs. Lush feathers are usually black, gray or brown in color. Wild Ostrich coloring page is sure to tell something new about this amazing bird and about its time.